Monday, October 24, 2011

HandPad for the iPad

I was so excited the other day to receive my bamboo stylus for the iPad. Even though it's not pressure sensitive I felt it would be fun to sketch with it.  As I was using it, I kept placing my hand down, and this would create lines on my page. So I came up with the idea of creating a pad I could lean my hand on so I could draw or write.  This is a quick tutorial of my idea!



I used a sheet of Sticky Foam and a sheet of Craft Felt with a sticky back. Sticky Foam is optional because regular craft foam works just as well 

I thought it would be fun to add my logo to the felt.  To be able to run the sheet of felt through my inkjet printer I used some Golden Digital Ground, which you could find at your local art supply store.  I used a brush to apply a thin coat to the felt sheet on the area where I would like my logo to print. Make sure it dries completely before putting it through your printer

When the felt is completely dry, place the sheet in your printer and print your design.
Make sure the design prints on the gesso texture

I then cut my felt sheet into two pieces about 6 3/4"x5". The other half I used as the back

I then cut a piece of foam about 4"x6" and used an edge trimmer to round out the edges.
You should now have three pieces

I removed the backing of the felt and the foam piece and centered the foam on the felt.
This part is a little tricky because both pieces are tacky. Then place the other piece of felt making sure to match the edges and press down to create a seal

You should now have two pieces of felt with a piece of foam in the middle. This will create a thin pillow-like pad

You can now place your new handPad 
under your hand and start creating!






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have some awesome tutorials. I'm bookmarking this, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cool- is that the crayola app? i'm stopping over from tip junkie and would love to have you stop by my blog and check out our huge giveaway going on- http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html xoxo nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments on my blog! Great tutorial! Your blog is darling :)

    ReplyDelete