Sunday, November 13, 2011

give Thanks art

This is a fun and simple project that I made for the Thanksgiving holiday season. 
I wanted something, in our home, to remind us about giving thanks for our many blessings this year


Supplies I used: 1 12"x12" canvas, 3 scrapbooking sheets of paper, 1 11"x11" mat board, some self-adhesive vinyl, Mod Podge, x-acto knife and some chalking ink pads

I printed out some words on one of the scrapbooking sheets using my inkjet printer. If you let it dry for a day the ink will not smear when using mod podge

I glued the paper onto the 11"x11" mat board and folded the ends to the back

I added another piece of scrap paper and inked the edges with the calk ink to give it some dimension

I then cut some pieces of my brown scrap paper and covered the edges of the canvas using some Mod Podge. Then I slightly used some very fine sand paper to sand the edges of the canvas and give it a worn look

This is what both pieces should look like

I then glued the mat board onto the canvas 

I cut out the word "give" and "Thanks" from vinyl, using my Cricket machine. I gently placed the letters on the mat board. Then gave it a top coat of Mod Podge. 
And that's it, instant artwork!
Making

16 comments:

  1. This is definitely making the world cuter --- thank you so much for sharing!
    Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! Love it! So simple and yet such a great reminder of what this season is all about. I'd be thrilled if you'd share it here:

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/shine-on-fridays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really like this! Thanks for linking this great project up too! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw this at Crafty Scrappy Happy - what a great idea! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love it! very creative, looks pretty! following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, what a wonderful job you did. I think it will look lovely in your home for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and simple decor project. Very neat.
    http://www.coolbeansbylb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great look and a wonderful, easy to comprehend tutorial. Great pics and nicely written. So glad you linked this up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful. You are one creative blogger.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Would you link it up to my Giving Gratitude Link Party on A Mother Seeking...?! Please?

    Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so cute! I love the antiqued look you gave it! Thanks for supporting Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok this HAS to look better than the original. because it is AMAZING. i love it. thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope YOU are having a wonderful Thanksgiving! Featuring YOU over on my blog today. Thank YOU so much for linking up at last week's {wow me} wednesday!

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2011/11/take-look-at-you-thanksgiving-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute, I love the font style! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think iv said this before but ill say it again i love it! lol of course i wanted to start following you and apparently i already was! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I love working with canvas and vinyl. I like how you used 2 different papers for the background. Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete