Monday, August 24, 2015

Carving Your Own Stamps

Ever feel like making your own rubber-stamps?  


SKETCHES: I was working in my art journal the other day and felt like adding some wings to my design.I got out my sketchbook and drew some wing patterns. I thought it would be a great idea to create some rubber-stamps out of these designs so i can use them over and over in my mixed media art.



TRANSFER: I traced my sketches using some tracing paper and a charcoal pencil. This soft pencil helps make a nice transfer. I then placed my sketch facing down over a Speedball Carving Block. Gently i retraced over the wing to get a reverse design on the block. 



CARVING: I then used used a Speedball Linoleum Cutter to carve out my design, switching blade size for large and small areas. I wanted to carve a positive image so i carved away the light areas of my image.



TRIMMING: I used a larger blade to trim off the excess and finished it off with scissors.



TESTING MY STAMP: I inked my stamps and stamped them on white paper to see if i needed to go back and carve some more. I was pleased with my design. 

Time for stamping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment